The microwave is a common appliance that can be found in almost every home. People love it because they can heat up their meals or even cook them in this appliance. Some vegetables retain more of their nutrients when cooked in a microwave rather than using any other method. Even though most vegetables can be prepared in a microwave, there are also foods that actually lose their nutritional value.
This is why you need to know which foods are not suitable for use in a microwave and what other ways you can use to prepare them.
Many people microwave the meat before preparing it. Even though this method is beneficial for preventing bacteria contamination, it actually reduces the levels of vitamin B12 and amino acids in the meat.
If you use it to reheat meat leftovers, it will reduce the protein value and natural juices of the meat.
– Defrost the meat the day before you prepare it by putting it at the bottom of the fridge
– If you want to reheat it, put it in a pan at a low temperature
2. White rice
White rice should never be heated in a microwave because it loses most of its nutrients when subjected to high temperatures.
– Prepare your rice by cooking in a pot with water where the temperature will gradually increase as the rice cooks
– To reheat rice put it in a pot, add a little water and warm it on low heat
Even 97% of the antioxidants in broccoli are destroyed by the high temperatures from the microwaves. Microwaving broccoli also causes changes in the vegetables taste and texture.
– To take full advantage of broccoli, add it to salads or smoothies
– If you prefer it cooked, steaming is the best way to prepare it
Microwaves are very handy if you want to melt butter fast, however the heat can reduce its protein value.
– Melt the butter in a frying pan over low heat
– Keeping butter at room temperature for a while can also make it softer
Milk as well as other dairy products lose even half of their nutrients including vitamin B12 and the essential mineral content when exposed to high temperatures.
– Heat milk in a pan over low heat until it reaches the desired temperature
In order to obtain 100% of the nutrients in garlic it is best to consume it raw, because when exposed to high temperatures it loses even 95% of the mineral and vitamin content. Microwaving garlic also destroys the allicin content. Allicin is the ingredient that provides garlic with the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
– Try to consume raw garlic as often as you can
– Get the most of its benefits by consuming a raw garlic clove on an empty stomach
High temperatures also destroy the proteins in mushrooms and they even make them more susceptible to microorganism contamination.
– Reheating mushrooms can cause abdominal inflammation and indigestion
– Cook mushrooms at a temperature no higher than 70 ° C (about 160 ° F)
– Try to prepare recipes that don’t require cooking the mushrooms too long