Tanglad, or lemongrass is a common ingredient in Asian cuisine. It can be used fresh, dried or in the form of powder. Besides being used as a spice, tanglad also has strong medicinal properties because it is rich in copper, potassium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, folic acid, folate and vitamin A and C.
It is commonly used as a treatment for acne, fever, rheumatism, anxiety but there are also other uses of Tanglad such as the following.
Top 5 Health Benefits of Lemongrass
Helps in digestion
Tanglad can improve digestion because it can kill the bad bacteria in the digestive tract because it contains antiseptic compounds.
Controls Cholesterol Levels
The anti-atherosclerosis and anti-cholesterol works of Tanglad can help in lessening the absorption of cholesterol from the intestines.
Cleanses and Detoxifies
Drinking Tanglad tea regularly can detoxify your body and remove uric acid and bad cholesterol because it works as a diuretic.
Heals Colds and Flu
Lemongrass contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help your body in getting rid of coughs, fever and other cold and flu symptoms. Additionally, it is packed with Vitamin C that can make your immune system stronger in order to fight these infections.
Based on the research that was conducted at Ben Gurion University that is located in Israel, lemongrass tea has the ability to fight against cancer. A component that was called as citral can be found in lemongrass which causes apoptosis that can make the cancer cells commit suicide without even damaging the healthy cells.
LEMON GRASS JUICE RECIPE
- 6 large stalks of fresh lemongrass
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 8 cups of water
- Pandan leaves for added flavour (optional)
- Wash the lemongrass thoroughly
- Cut it into quarter length and pound the white part.
- Get a pot and boil the water in it with the lemongrass.
- Lower the heat and steep for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Strain it.
- Heat the sugar with 3 tablespoons of water until the sugar completely dissolve.
- Add the Pandan leaves if you like it better. Leave it to cool down.
- Fill a glass with ice and add the lemongrass juice in it.
Lemongrass can also be used to relieve pain including joint, muscle pain as well as toothache. Other benefits of lemongrass juice include:
- Regulates the menstrual cycle
- Prevents colon cancer
- Helps in reducing fever
- Effective remedy for both cough and fever
- Soothes rheumatism and arthritis
- Relieves nausea
- Strengthens the immune system
- Help decrease cellulite